Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Monday, April 6, 2015

Joking with the Tin Man


This is another photo I recently picked up, from the 1903 Wizard of Oz. This a vintage reprint of a well known image of Fred Stone as the Scarecrow, oiling David Montgomery's Tin Man. It's difficult to say when this particular print is from - it was part of the collection of Culver Pictures, a long-time photo service. Judging by the style of a rubber stamping on the back, this print was sent out for use sometime between 1960 and 1963 - but it may have been tucked in their files for much longer.

This pose was also the basis for the cover of A Tin Man's Joke Book, from 1904 (the image shown at right is taken from The Oz Scrapbook). This was a small paperback book, published by J. S. Ogilvie, very possibly without the knowledge of L. Frank Baum. Ogilvie was also the publisher of Pictures From the Wonderful Wizard of Oz - so Oz was familiar territory for the company!

**UPDATE - Apparently there were two separate publishers named Ogilvie - J.S. who published the joke books was based in New York, and George who published the Pictures From the Wonderful Wizard of Oz was based in Chicago.

While looking about on the web, I found an ad for the Ogilvie series of Joke Books. The Tin Man is listed as #46, and #47 is A Scarecrow's Joke Book. I wonder if this image of Fred Stone was used for the cover of that one!



3 comments:

saintfighteraqua said...

Before long you are going to have an Oz cathedral!

Paul Bienvenue said...

Nice, Bill! I've seen that ad for the Scarecrow Joke Book, but to date I have only ever heard of the Tin Man book finding its way into people's collections. I suspect they intended a Scarecrow counterpart but it was never published.

Bill Campbell said...

I believe Atticus mentioned that a copy is supposed to be at Yale - but I don't know if anyone has actually seen it!