Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Oz at School


Here are a couple school-related Oz pieces from the 1920s. This was a popular time for the Oz series, and it's fun to see the influence of the books spilling over into the classroom.

The notebook is from the Famous "Oz" Series, published by White and Wyckoff; This was produced as a set of six - I think I've seen two other copies from this set. They've all used color plate illustrations from The Tin Woodman of Oz on their covers - in this case, the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman who have been changed into a tin owl and straw stuffed bear. The interior is simple lined paper, and the rear cover has a blurb telling a bit of the story and promoting the Oz books. My copy has been used on the first few pages by a student for some sort of assignment or test that appears to be unfinished - I'd say it wasn't their lucky notebook!

I've seen a couple versions of the seating poster, using different color schemes and photos. The basic information is the same, but the layout of drawings and type varies. These were produced by The American Seating Corp. Obviously the Oz characters were considered familiar enough to help sell products!

No comments: