Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

More Covers


Some of my favorite W. W. Denslow covers for Rand McNally have a definite bizarre quality. The best example that I have for this, in my opinion, is Devil's Dice. My partner collects work by Edward Gorey, and I like to think this particular title makes a nice sort of bridge between collections - no particular resemblance, just something about the skeletal bride.

Another fun cover is The King of the Mountains. Here again, Denslow has created a slightly macabre design. This particular copy is not in the best condition, and one of these days I hope to find a better one. Incidentally, this is another example of a later printing that has dropped the Denslow seahorse signature from the cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Especially with that "Davil's Dice" cover I must say it's quite strange for me to see Denslow's style applied in such a different way. I do like it though.